With the arrival of October, Fall is really here. ALthough the blogosphere seems to be flooded with pumpkin and squash, I still want to hold onto my favorite orange produce for a little while longer.
I am relishing in the late-season varieties of peaches for as long as I possibly can. Nothing makes me relive wonderful summer memories like the sweet, juicy flavor of ripe peaches. Even as the temperature starts to cool down, I am determined to keep relishing in this simple pleasure.
That’s how these muffins came about. Packed with quinoa, chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut oil, and giant hunks of peach, these muffins are as good for you as they are tasty. No, they aren’t light and fluffy, instead they are packed full of nutrients.
When microwaved for 30 seconds and served with a warm cup of tea or coffee, they make the perfect easy breakfast or afternoon snack.
Go ahead and make a second batch and stash them in the freezer so that you can continue to enjoy delicious summer produce even in the monotonous months when apples and oranges are the only fresh fruits to be found.
Peach Muffins with Chia and Hemp Seeds
Adapted from Get Natured
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup quinoa flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 3/4 cup skim milk, room temperature
- 2 large peaches, finely chopped (leave the peel on for extra fiber)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with silicone liners.
- Whisk together chia seeds and warm water in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, salt. Mix in the hemp seeds, then set aside.
- To the chia seed mixture, add milk, brown sugar, coconut oil, and extracts and combine well. Add this wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir gently to combine-don’t overmix. Gently fold in the peaches.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan and smooth their tops with the back of a spoon. Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes.
- When a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean and the muffins are golden brown, remove the muffins from oven and transfer them to cooling racks.