While I chose not to watch the Super Bowl this year, I am excited, as always to watch Hollywood’s glamorous stars grace the red carpet at Sunday’s Academy Awards. Beautiful dresses, touching acceptance speeches, and getting to cheer for my favorite films all make the Oscars a night of excitement that I look forward to every year. It is a wonderful time to scout for prom dress inspiration, have a festive night in with the people you love, and to remember that even celebrities depend on their friends and families to achieve their success.
This year, along with standbys like popcorn and pizza, my family and I are cooking up an array of appetizers and desserts inspired by this year’s best picture nominees. I’ve been having tons of fun getting started in the kitchen with my amazing mom and little sisters, because although I stuck with mostly simple recipes, making nine dishes of any sort is always a challenge. The crab cakes, lollipops, and keys for the cupcakes can all be made in advance to lessen your kitchen time on Oscar weekend.
Here are my Best-Picture inspired recipes to jazz up any Oscar party!
- Tree of Life: Crudite Platter
- The Artist: Black and White Stars with Smoked Salmon for a Pop of Color
- War Horse: Salad with English Cucumbers
- The Descendants: Hawaiian Crab Cakes
- The Help: Self-Serve Chocolate Pies
- Hugo: Petite Chocolate Croissants
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: Red Velvet Cupcakes with Key Toppers
- Moneyball: Baseball Rice Krispies
- Midnight in Paris: Chocolate Eiffel Tower Lollipops