Goose and I have very different food preferences to say the least. He enjoys starchy comfort food, while I prefer exotic, produce-based meals. Often we try to meet somewhere in the middle when we go out to eat. This past Valentine’s Day when I cooked dinner for us at my house, I decided that neither of us should have compromise our tastes on this special because we could both get to eat what we enjoy by whipping up two quick and easy dishes. We minimized the prep by using pre-made bases and similar ingredients to make two different variations on pizza.
I love that pizza is so infinitely adaptable that by tweaking the base and the toppings, you can come up with countless delicious combinations to please any taste palate.
For Goose I made a thick-crust cheese pizza shaped like a heart. For myself I made spinach-filled pizza toast topped with kale. For me it was the perfect night of romance, because we both thoroughly enjoyed our individual pizzas, and then as we cuddled and watched A Beautiful Night, we shared a chocolately dessert. So next time you are planning a romantic night in, don’t feel pressured to come up with a meal to split. You and your partner will both end up happier if you get to eat something you truly enjoy.
- 1 Pillsbury Pizza Crust Classic. Feel free to go all out and make homemade pizza dough; 101 Cookbooks has a great recipe
- 1 Tbs + 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Pizza Sauce (I used Ragu)
- 1 Cup Milk Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Open the can of dough and roll it out. For thick crust, double it up. Optional: pinch the bottom together and make a cut in the top, then mold it into the shape of a heart, or make it look like the shape of your choice.
- Sprinkle the dough with garlic powder, then add a thin layer of tomato sauce. Top it off with a generous sprinkle of each of the cheeses. Feel free to use whatever types of cheese you have on hand, this is just what was in my refrigerator at the time.
- Bake pizza for about 12 minutes, and serve!
Modern Alice Pizza
- 1 Spinach Bolani like the one from East and West, or you can use whole wheat pita
- 1/2 Cup Dave’s Organic Spicy Heirloom Tomato Sauce. You can try swapping half of it for Cup Dave’s Organic Wild Mushroom Sauce. Or use your favorite store bought or homemade tomato sauce, like this one from The Innocent Primate Vegan Blog.
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese or 1/3 cup reduced fat Mozzarella
- 1/8 Tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 Tsp dried basil (or 5 leaves of fresh basil if you have it)
- 2/3 Cup shredded kale
- Top your bolani with both types of tomato sauce, cheese, basil, cayenne pepper, and as much shredded kale as you can pile on
- Toast the veggie-packed “pizza” for 3-5 minutes for crisper crust, or microwave it for 45 second. That’s it…eat up!
Whichever way you like your pizza, make sure to really enjoy it. Take the time to savor your pizza with someone you really love, don’t just scarf it down in front of a computer screen. Enjoy lovely readers!