I know that I just posted about rice krispy treats a few days ago, but they are so simple to make that it inspired me to whip up another batch. I wanted to make artistic rice crispy treats to go along with my art history presentation to make the 13-straight days of presentations less boring, and I decided that as long as I included colorful m&ms, that these would fit the bill.
I had a 3/4 full bag of marshmallows, a nearly empty jar of peanut butter, left over Easter m&ms. To eliminate all of these baking odds and ends in one swoop, I decided to do a variation on my favorite snack. When the sugar pangs strike and we are out of candy, I always throw a few mini marshmallows, some peanut butter, and a few chocolate chips in the microwave for 12 seconds (this really is the perfect amount of time). Hence the inspiration for this delicious treat.
Think of these treats as fluffernutters with Rice Krispy cereal instead of bread and with m&ms added. Hungry yet?
Peanut Butter M&M Rice Crispy Treats
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 cups of mini marshmallows or a bag of large marshmallows
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 5 cups Rice Krispy cereal
- 1 1/2 cups M&M’s (or equal parts m&ms and chocolate chips)
- Butter a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick saucepan over low heat until melted, then stir in the peanut butter and stir until combined. Add the marshmallows and continue to stir them until fully melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies. Once the cereal is fully mixed in, stir in one cup of the m&ms.
- Use a buttered spatula to evenly press the mixture into the buttered pan. Press the remaining m&ms into the top of the rice krispies.
- Allow the rice krispy treats to cool for bout 20 minutes, then cut them into bars. Bon appetit!